Monday, January 31, 2011

LINCOLN'S BLESSING WEEKEND


John, Emily, Grandma Char, Jocelyn and I flew into Portland early on Friday, December 3rd. We were greeted by this spectacular view of Mount Hood as we were close to landing at PDX. We had reserved a mini van for our weekend and then drove to Johnny's work to see him, his wonderful father-in-law, Bob, and our dear friends, Tricia, Kathie, and Michelle in his office. This was Emily's first visit back to Portland since Johnny and Brittney married in December 2004. We then drove to see Brittney and baby Lincoln.


Great-grandma Char, Aunt Emily and Aunt Jocelyn were so excited to meet this precious little boy. Jocelyn has a magical effect on babies. They all love her and she is so calm and sweet with them.

Who wouldn't love this beautiful face?

We visited and relaxed with Brittney while we waited for Johnny to come home for an early release from work since he had gone in early.

Grandma V loves this little grandson!

We drove to downtown Portland and ate lunch at Deschutes Brewery, a delicious restaurant. They had the most amazing homemade soft pretzels for an appetizer. It was so nice to relax and visit with each other.



After eating, we drove to Lake Oswego and checked in to our hotel room and went shopping at the Apple store. We purchased early Christmas gifts since we didn't have to pay sales tax. After shopping, we ordered pizza. We called it an early night since we had gotten up so early to fly out of Salt Lake.

We were up and at it early Saturday morning. Todd and Megan were flying in early from Los Angeles and so after eating breakfast at the hotel, John and I drove to the airport. This was the big football day in Oregon with Oregon Ducks playing the Oregon St. Beavers. Driving beside us on the freeway was this car with a divided family in college allegiance. When they pulled in behind us at the airport I jumped out of the car and asked if I could take their picture. I can't quite imagine our family sporting a Y and U on our car.



We drove back to the hotel and passed the time playing cards and watching Game Day on ESPN until Johnny, Britt, and Lincoln arrived.


John is getting to know his new iphone

Jocelyn was catching up on the phone with Paul

Johnny, Britt and I raced to Costco to shop for some of the blessing food for the following day. We left little Lincoln with the doting aunts at the hotel. We were on a mission to hurry and get back so that we could watch the noon kickoff of the football game. Bob and Shannon generously let us watch the game on their big screen and thank goodness the Ducks had a great win.

The game was too close for comfort at this point

Megan snuggled with Lincoln during the game.

Todd was concentrating

Jocelyn slept during the game

Grandma and Johnny sharing the "O" love

The Wolthuis Duck fans dressed to support their team

Unfortunately, John got sick during the game and we had to leave him at the hotel in bed, while we went to the Claim Jumper. We enjoyed good food, yummy dessert, and great company!

I surely love my mommy!

The cute new parents

I love this picture of these two

Lincoln enjoyed his night out


We went back to John and Britt's and all worked together to make a few salads for the next afternoon. When we returned to the hotel, John was feeling a little better, but Emily slept in Todd and Meg's room so that I could sleep with mom and let John have the bedroom to himself. Poor boy! We all hated to see John so sick.

We were up early again Sunday morning to drive to the church. Johnny and Britt had wonderful family support for their special day. Johnny pronounced an amazing blessing on his son, Lincoln John. The spirit was very strong and sweet. We enjoyed the fast and testimony meeting in their ward also. The Williamette Ward is welcoming always.
The Stoddart men on the left and the Wolthuis/Grunander clan on the right

2 Grandpas, 1 daddy, and 1 very special angel baby

Lincoln looks pretty relaxed for such a big day

Shannon and Bob with their new grandbaby

More doting grandparents

After church, we drove back to the hotel, finished packing, changed our clothes and drove to Britt's mom's house. Stephanie was very kind to host all of us. I can't believe I don't have a picture of Steph. She is such a dear friend and always makes us feel so welcome when we visit Portland. We had sandwiches, salads, desserts and enjoyable visiting with family.

Brittney's brother, Justin, and sister-in-law, Tressa

Brittney's brother, Bishop Jeremy, and sister-in-law, Carrie

We missed you Laurel

Very handsome son, Johnny

Precious Lincoln


We had a wonderful weekend. We were thankful that we could share this time with Johnny, Britt, and Lincoln. It seemed that the time flew and we had to leave and drive to the airport for the flight home. Todd and Megan ended up having their flight delayed and so Johnny drove back to the airport and they spent the evening with Johnny and Britt instead of long hours waiting at the airport. Emily and Jocelyn still had to drive back to Idaho Sunday night after we flew to Salt Lake. Family support is priceless. I am grateful for the blessing of family and special occasions to share and make eternal memories.

6 comments:

  1. Oh how fun that weekend was...how in love I am with that little Lincoln! So glad that we were able to be there with all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved every second of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lincoln is darling! I love all the close up pictures of his cute face. Loved hearing about his wonderful blessing weekend. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shed a few tear while reading, I really wish we could have been there. John and Britt are such great parents and I am glad everyone could go celebrate Lincoln for his blessing weekend. You guys are such supportive parents and no one doubts how much you love your kids and grandkids. Thanks for all you do. Love all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the post! It was an amazing weekend and we are so grateful for all of our wonderful family who came here for Lincoln's blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like so much fun! Little Lincoln is adorable!

    ReplyDelete